Perhaps my previous 2 posts are a little freaky, in the sense that well, 1) I appear to have a morbid fascination with older men and 2) this is coming from someone that is about 2 months shy of her 18th birthday. Maybe, probably, a little wrong in whatever sense of that word. In short, I'm kinda too young to have deep crushes on older men...in theory. I'm not trying to prove my normality or anything here, but I do like young guys too.

Crushing on mega hot 40-something actors should be forgiven, in any case. Scrolling down on my Yummy! list will more or less show some of my 'crush factors', because there are similar traits between them, don't you think? Stubble on an otherwise chiselled jaw, gray in dark locks of hair, lines to interrupt smooth skin... They stand as a testament that Hollywood is not all perfection and that to be attractive is to be young and beautiful. Its a complete aversion of what's thought to be universally ideal - youth. Not just the men though. There are some Hollywood actresses allowing themselves the ultimate human weakness - to age - and while they're at it, to age gracefully too. I really like watching Diane Keaton and Meryl Streep. They were heavyweights during younger days on the silver screen but even now, they're as lovely and compelling as ever. Proves that age is never a hindrance.

Don't you just love it? To me, it lightens the pressure of having to compete with so many beautiful people out there. While now they can be so gorgeous, later they may be fighting (then usually failing) to retain their youthful beauty. And the rest of us can be at peace.

I just finished reading the book everybody else is reading at the moment, Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. I really liked it...in a way. Its difficult to explain. I knew full well before purchasing the book and flipping to the first page that as many reviews claimed, it was a young adult fiction. Its target audience is teenage girls. Hence, a mushy romantic fantastical love story between a ungodly perfect undead vampire with an ordinary gal. Not my kind of book. At all.

But other positive reviews (there were about an equal amount of people out there who despise the book actually) fascinated me. These reviews came from readers outside the target audience; twenty-somethings and above, career women, mothers to daughters who read the book etc. To summarise, they all basically said it was a lovely ecape from reality. It definitely wasn't real, the perfection of Edward and the other Cullens too wondrous, even the setting was dreamlike.

After reading it now myself, they were right. Like I've mentioned, I appreciate being able to escape from reality once in a while.

Reading it was like succumbing to the deepest, most hidden desire of most women (I won't try to be presumptous by saying all women) - to find and inexplicably fall in love with the most perfect man ever created and disbelievingly discover that such a person could love you back. If Bella was indeed a real person, she most probably would be dead by now. Not because Edward finally succumbed to his thirst for her blood and killed her. But because by all the crazied obsessions of teen girls everywhere over Edward (driven to wilder heights thanks to the excessive gorgeousness of Robert Pattinson as if you need any help to visualise the character) and thus, unfathomable and destructive jealousy towards Bella. Such a lucky girl should also not (be allowed to) exist. Anyway, to me it was admitting to myself, no matter how determined I am to be a realist, that I too wanted my own share of real-life magic. Deep down, given the choice, I would have gladly given up all of my notions to fall in love with someone so more out-of-league than previously deemed possible. I want my own Edward Cullen.

I mean, who was Bella Swan anyway? She was essentially, just an ordinary Jane. She could be anyone of us. But there she was, for a reason so cruelly unclear, inexplicably appealing to the magnificent Edward. Meyer had no qualms about feeding us every detail of Edward's perfection. He was not a blood-sucking, life-taking undead often portrayed in other books and movies. Sure, he was dangerous, but he was nice. He cared for humans. So all that remained was the perfection that came with being a vampire according to Meyer. Every desirable quality there was to be desired Edward had. He was so perfect, he was so unreal.
Personally, he doesn't at all seem like a vampire. More like a demi-god. Whatever.

But then, we will be reminded that Edward is far from being perfect. Because he was so perfect. (I hope you're still following me with this) He's too beautiful, so people stay away. He is dangerous, so he must stay away too. He is forever young, so forever lonely. He is doomed for eternity. I'd like to thank Meyer for the slight reality check in the midst of all the fantasy. At least, it's slightly more believable.

So, Edward and the likes of him will always remain unreal. Its a great way of releasing oneself to fantasy sometimes but not something to hope for. I'm not exactly sure of what I'm trying to really relay through all this babble but I think the idea is there. Ponder all of it for a bit. You might find something. I hope... :)

P.S. I'm gonna read the rest of the Twilight saga anyway. There's no way I'm not going to see through to the end of the fantasy Meyer managed to create in my mind.
2 Responses
  1. Melur Says:

    hello.. just read your blog.. i havent read the books yet, but there's something about an ungodly perfect undead vampire with an ordinary gal that is so enticing..xD ( although the girl seems a bit bland from all the reviews out there )..
    and in theory anyway, the girls in Edward and Bella's school should be pouncing on such a handsome badboy like a pack of wolves on a crippled baby elephant ( assuming that baby elephants taste the best ) lol

    I love your blog though.. *clicks follow button*
    Cheerio!


  2. thanks melur!
    I know exactly what you mean! its really unfair that an ordinary person like Bella could have a chance with a guy like Edward...if that is the case, we all should have a similar chance! LOL


Post a Comment

Post Comment